Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Peace or Contentment

This has been the year of extremes! Just 5 months ago we experienced one of the snowiest winters in our city's history and now we are experiencing one of its hottest summers.  Back in February we prayed for warmer weather and it is here.  However, people are now complaining about it being too hot!  It seems we can never be truly satisfied.

Such is life. People everywhere are searching for satisfaction and contentment yet they never seem to find it. "If I only had that job, this car, that house, his money, a spouse like that, kids like those, I would be content”.  Would you now...?

I believe the secret to peace is to not settle for contentment. To never be satisfied with the statis quo. Jesus said in Revelations 3:15 that when it comes to our relationship with Him He would rather us be hot or cold instead of being content to be somewhere in the middle. Contentment might sound good but it will never satisfy and I'm not even sure that its even truly possible.  Personally as a follower of Christ I want to be hot and on fire for Christ, which often times will be uncomfortable.  However being hot, sold out 110 % is the only way that I can truly experience peace. The peace that I’m talking about here is not to be confused with contentment or satisfaction.  It is a peace that comes from knowing that Christ is with me and guiding me through all life brings. That He is faithful!  It is knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can trust His promise to never leave me nor forsake me.  He is my protection, my sword, my shield... He is my peace.

Do you want to simply be content or do you desire peace? I know for me, I want peace. Peace that comes when I say “Not my will Lord, but Yours be done”.  Only when we I do this do I truly have peace.

PCW

No comments:

Post a Comment