Thursday, May 7, 2009

For the love of a brother


What a week! Baptized on Sunday, married my first couple Sunday afternoon, spent 3 solid days in the office... And today, today I fly out of town for the love of a brother.

It was not an easy decision for me to go. Honestly, I have mixed emotions as I really don't want to be away this weekend for a host of reasons. But here I am, getting on a plane for the love of a brother.

I actually only have 1 brother - David. He is 7 years older than I and I have always looked up to him. God has used him in incredible ways over the years! We have even had the opportunity to serve together in ministry twice! I think the thing that I admire most about him though is how he has been there for me when life got tough. And today I leave to be there for him for the love of a brother.

You know, the older I get the more I realize how few genuine friends you have. And, at the end of the day, YOU have to make the best choices for YOUR life as much as you want to think others are genuinely looking out for your best interest. Yes, there are some that do, but not many. Seldom do any of us put self aside long enough to really put ourselves in someone elses shoes. Today, I am putting on someone elses shoes. I am putting myself aside for the love of a brother.

A Pastor friend of mine recently told me that "life is short"! Too short to waste not doing or being where God wants you to do/be. I agree. And at the end of our lives, and the lives of those we love most, we are going to look back and I believe we will regret not doing the things we know we should have done but were too concerned with self to do. This day will not be one of those days for me cause I am going to be with him, for the love of a brother.

Lord, give me peace. I need it today. Help me to trust you, knowing you will never let me go. And help me to love. To put myself aside. John 15:13, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends".

I am not exactly laying down my life. At least I hope not :) But I am putting myself aside today for the love of a brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment