Wednesday, March 13, 2013

PAIN

For the past 5 years I've had chronic pain of some kind.  In October of 2008 I suffered a broken leg which led to painful blood clots and knee surgery the next year.  In January of 2010 I began to have neck and back pain  (Degenerative Disc Disease) which has led to three neck surgeries with a fourth possibly coming later this year.  Honestly, I don't really remember what it feels like to not have pain.
 
Have I had days in the past five years that I've wanted to give up??  You better believe it!  Have I had days when I've wondered if God had forsaken me or if He was punishing me for some reason?  You better believe it!
 
However, and as crazy as it might sound, I know that God has a purpose and a plan in the midst of my pain.  I know that if nothing else He has used my pain to draw me closer to Him so that I might know Him more and through my testimony make Him more known!  If you know me you know that I am not one who blows spiritual smoke signals just to get attention.  No, if there are any smoke signals it's because there's a fire of God's Holy Spirit working in and through me.
 
How boring life would be without the difficult times.  I believe the saying to be true: No pain; no gain!  It is in the difficult times, through the pain, in our defeat, when God does some of His best shaping of who He desires for us to be.  The scripture rings true that when it says, "When I am weak He is strong"!  And just like a child who runs to their mother or father when they are afraid or hurt, we too can run to our Heavenly Father and find all the comfort, protection, and love in Him we'll ever need.  His perfect love drives out my fear and despair.
 
I'm reminded of Romans 8:35-39 which says:
 
35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
 
The bottom line...  In life you and I are likely to experience trouble, calamity, persecution, danger, and more.  But God loves us none the less!!  In fact, He loves us all the more and promises us victory over anything that comes against us!  One thing I do know is that be it in this life or in glory, one day all of this earthly pain and suffering will be over and done with.  All our "earthly stuff" will pass away and what will matter is whether or not we call Jesus Lord.  Because if Jesus is Lord today... He is Lord tomorrow... and the next day... and next week... and next month... and for all eternity!!
 
Pain and suffering are a part of life.  Who and what you trust in in the midst of the pain is what matters.  I have learned to trust in Christ and He has proved faithful! 
 
Thank you Lord for allowing me to share in your overwhelming victory!
 
Christian Watts
3.13.13
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment